University of California, Riverside

CHASS FIRST - First Year Experience


Frequently Asked Questions

    • WHAT is CHASS?
      CHASS stands for College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences. Majors in CHASS include Psychology, Sociology, Ethnic Studies, Art, English and many more.  Please visit for a complete list of majors and minors.
    • What is CHASS Connect?
      CHASS Connect is year long program designed for first year students in CHASS. The program invites students to engage in effective education practices, increasing their chances of success at UCR.  Diversity, academic success and social enrichment are emphasized. Students are enrolled in a year-long sequence consisting of high levels of interaction with faculty and graduate teaching assistants, focused and personalized advising, and an infrastructure of support provided by peer educators throughout their first year.
    • Where is CHASS F1RST located?
      The CHASS F1RST office is located in HMNSS 1614. We are building #307 on the campus map.
    • What is a Peer Educator?
      Peer Educators are students who have completed at least one year of college at UCR. Peer Educators receive special training to help first year students make the transition from high school to college. They learn to help students feel at home on our campus. The Peer Educators know what it takes to be successful in college. Over the course of the year, they will teach students tricks to college life, new study skills, time management and what resources our campus provides for you to make the connections you need to be successful in college and beyond.
    • How can I become a Peer Educator?
      Qualifications to become a peer educator:
      • 2.5 cumulative grade point average and in good academic standing.
      • Sensitivity to the needs of students from a variety of racial, ethnic, national, political, religious, physical and sexual orientation, and socio-economic backgrounds. Sensitivity to varying levels of academic preparedness.
      • Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with students.
      • Willingness to work collaboratively with undergraduate and graduate students, staff, and faculty partners in the program.
      • Good organizational and time management skills
      • Ability to work with and relate to faculty and staff.
      • Ability to respond to students in a helping manner.

Peer Educator applications will become available at the end of Fall Quarter. Applications are usually due mid-Winter quarter.

    • How do I get out of a Learning Community?
      In order to make the Learning Community work for you and your fellow classmates, students may not drop their Learning Community once the Fall quarter starts. If you feel you have an excruciating reason to drop your Learning Community please call (951)827-2742 or email
    • What are the benefits of being in a Learning Community?
      The first year of college is a year of significant changes. Students are often overwhelmed by the transition from high school to college. Through the creation of a community of scholars and friends in Learning Communities, students return to UCR for their second year at higher rates than those not in Learning Communities. In addition, Learning Community students are more satisfied with their campus experience and their grades are significantly higher than those not participating in Learning Communities.
    • Where is Humanities 411?
      Humanities 411 is not located in the Humanities and Social Sciences Building (HMNSS). It is building #498a on the campus map.
    • Where is the CHASS Dean’s Office?
      The CHASS Dean’s office is located in HMNSS 3400. It is building #307 on the campus map.
    • How do I find my professor’s/TA’s office? Office hours?
      Most professors and TAs will include this information on their class syllabus.
    • What do I do if I’m feeling stressed out?
      There are various resources for you if you are feeling stressed out. Your CHASS Connect peer educators can provide some of these resources for you. The Well  and the Counseling Center can also provide resources for you.
    • How Do I S/NC a class?
      To change a course from letter grade to S/NC, or from S/NC to a letter grade please fill out the form available at the Student Academic Affairs Office, the Registrar’s Office or your major department office.  Once completed, the form will have to be turned in to the Registrar’s Office.
    • How do I change my major?
      Students in good academic standing can petition to transfer from another college to the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences or from one major to another within the College, provided they complete the new major within the 216 unit limit. In order to change your major, you must complete a change of major petition and meet with the department advisor to receive departmental approval. Changes are not permitted while on probation or during the final senior year (135 units or more). Students who fail to attain a grade point average of 2.00 (“C”) in preparation for the major or courses required for the major may be denied the privilege of entering or continuing in that major. The “Change of Major Petition” is available at the Student Academic Affairs office of the proposed major. How can I get involved on campus?
    • What are my peer educator’s office hours?
      Each peer educator sets their own office hours. This information will be provided to you on the first day of each quarter. You can also email your peer educator to find out when they hold office hours.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Related Links